Pages

Writing a Series with Marie Dry


Before we go to this week's author, I would like to say hi to you all from Santorini Island. Yes, I'm on sunny Santorini Island, Greece while visiting all your blogs and welcoming author Marie Dry to Revisions & Editions!


Fira, Santorini. Its hot and sunny! 
Yes, blogging around and catching up on work!


This week we have author Marie Dry talking about writing a series. She has a new book out, 

Alien Captured (Zyrgin Warriors Book 5).





Ever since she can remember Marie Dry wanted to travel. She had had the privilege of living in Zambia, Morocco, and Spain and sees herself as a bit of a gypsy. Every few years she gets restless and has to be some place new.

She read romances since she was nine and was fairly young when she decided she would write the perfect story that had all the elements she looked for in a romance. In 1997 she decided to go all out with her writing and to get published. Being published by Black Opal Books is a dream come true for her.

There are several wonderful moments in her life that she would never trade for anything. One of them is meeting President Nelson Mandela and the second being published.
Connect with Marie Dry:

Website 
      Facebook          Twitter


WHAT I LEARNED WHILE I WROTE A SERIES

Here it is in short:
Give your characters vulnerabilities
Work out the world rules and stick to them
Put clothes on them
Keep details of secondary characters to a minimum

I always tell everyone at our monthly ROSA (Romance Writers South Africa) meeting at the library in Waverley in Pretoria, that I can explain craft issues to them because I made every mistake in the book. That is not quite true though, I did a lot of things right instinctively. Most writers have read so much fiction by the time they are published that they have an instinctive knowledge of story.
Looking back at the five books in the Zyrgin Warrior series that is out, I am proud of what I accomplished. But it would have been great if someone had told me to write the series backwards. Seriously, if you can have the last book in the series written when you submit the first one you can seed in a lot of things that happened in later books. Says the pantser extraordinaire!
When I wrote Alien Mine I planned it to be the first of a series from the beginning and I knew Zurian and Azagors story and had pieces of it written. I also had an inkling of The Zyrgin’s story, though Viglar hid from me until I was in the middle of Alien Betrayed. I knew the world was set in the dystopian future. I kept thinking of Al Gore saying how we are ignoring global warming to our peril and that we are like a frog in boiling water. Slowly dying without realizing it should jump out. I wanted to write about the time when things got really bad and humans still didn’t realize they were on the brink of extinction. And then I set down and worked out the specifics of my aliens. From the craft courses I took I knew you had to create a world and stick to it. No convenient changes to keep the story going. Remember at that stage I’d done a tone of craft classes, but nothing beats sitting down and writing one book after the other and learning through your triumphs and mistakes.
Clever me decided my aliens are so tough bullets bounce off them. And it worked perfectly. I loved Zacar and his story and still remember that moment when I held the book in my hand. Then I started to write the second book and I realized that I made them so tough nothing threatens them. They took on whole raider camps no problem. So where’s the conflict? No threat, no tension and I couldn’t change things at this stage. Anyone out there starting a series probably know this, but always write in some weaknesses when you craft your characters. Physical, mental and emotional weaknesses. And that goes for their environment as well.
Then remember to put clothes on them. See it like a stage or a movie and think how the clothes reflect their way of life. And also how the different clothes show up against each other. I of course totally forgot to write down what I saw in my head and during my first edit with the editor she assumed my aliens walked around naked. I’m still blushing.
The last one another writer wrote about in a blog and I only realized exactly what she meant when I wrote the Zyrgin Warrior Series. Keep the interaction and details of secondary characters to a minimum so that you have more room to manoeuvre when you craft their characters when they get their own stories. The moment you write even one sentence about that person or the woman or man they will eventually end up with its set in stone. Many things can change between writing the first book and the last book.
I am a pantser and I enjoy my process, but I have learned a lot from writing my first series and I am looking forward to applying it when I write the spin off series, The Unclaimed Galaxies and Beyond the Unclaimed Galaxies.


Alien Captured (Zyrgin Warriors Book 5)


In a bleak future, where government systems are breaking down and poverty and violence reign, on an abandoned farm in Montana, Susannah had a simple plan. She’d capture an alien, sell him to the resistance, and use the money to save her son.

Instead, Susannah had an arrogant alien trapped in a pit who acted as if she was the prisoner. He wanted to kill her dog and insisted she should care for the wound he sustained when he fell into the pit she dug to trap him. On top of that, she had no way to know if the resistance got her message. Every day that passed, she doubted her decision to hand Azagor over to the resistance.

But her son, her baby, was being held by people who considered him unclean because he was conceived out of wedlock—and time was running out.



Buy on:







19 comments:

  1. Thank you for having me over Nas. Though I would love to be able to be with you in Greece. Enjoy sun and the the travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you much success on your book Marie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Erika. Or in my language Baie Dankie.

      Delete
  3. These are nice tips, Marie. Congratulations on getting published. And I envy you that you actually met Nelson Mandela. I so admired and respected him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth, it is one of my best memories. In a million years I never thought I'd get to meet him but the universe must have heard my wish. He was very gracious to share his time with us.

      Delete
  4. Yes! Put clothes on them! That one made me laugh. I have a post on my blog titled "Are Your Characters Naked?" lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chrys, that was my first book and I was trying to be so professional and impress the editors. I nearly died when I read the comment when the first edits came back.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like an interesting read. It is hard when you come up on something you've already written in book one that you can't change in book five.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz, yes, it has made for some fancy footwork. I know a lot of what was coming and where I was going with the series but that still left a lot of detail to get caught in.

      Delete
  6. Santorini looks great – hope you're having fun.

    Great tips for sreial writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patsy, I wish I was there with Nas at the moment. Its going to be interesting to see what happens when I write my next series. I's sure now that I learned one set of things to look out for something else will catch me.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Patsy! I had a great time!

      Delete
  7. Love the pool shot - what a fabulous place to catch up on blogging and work! I would love to get to Zambia one of these days. I bet that was a fantastic trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cynical sailor. I'm not sure if you are talking to me or Nas about Zambia but I lived there for four years in the nineties and it was wonderful. I would recommend a holiday there.

      Delete
  8. Hi Nas and Marie - such useful advice .. with your 'fun' hiccups along the way ... well done on being able to live your own life and write as you go ... good luck with the sales - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary. From the feedback I got I can see that the readers get my characters and that's the greatest gift and author can have.

      Delete
  9. Santorini looks wonderful - sea so blue and the buildings so white! I hope you're enjoying your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooo what an amazing place to be doing your blog visits. Hope you had a great time.

    And another ooo been a while since I've read a good alien story. Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I laughed out loud at the "Put clothes on them." I have several series in the works, but I'll never seriously work on one until I know the end goal. The beginning, the end, and five to seven major plot points along the way. It's dangerous to go forward without at least that much knowledge, eh?

    Congrats, btw.

    ReplyDelete

Join the discussion. What do you think?